On some nights, after an 8 -10 hour day sitting and drawing, I need to do something else to decompress.
I like to re-imagined clothing from items in my closet that for one reason or another I rarely wear.
This re-imagined clothing was a plain denim jacket. It was, in a word, boring. So I embroidered it with an Art Nouveau fox pattern I downloaded for a $1. I still want to change the jacket silhouette with a peplum at the waist and shorten the sleeves because right now the cuffs extend past my finger tips.
Next project is taking these 2 shirts and making them into the best of both.
You may be thinking, “What’s wrong with those shirts?”
On the surface, nothing. In fact, I love the long-sleeved T. Only it’s too short and I’m constantly pulling it down, and it refuses to stay tucked in no matter what I try. The purple patterned shirt looks wonderful on the hanger, but on me, not so much. So every time I take it out to wear it, I put it on only to remove it and hang it back up. So it is badly neglected.
The plan is to undo the hem and neck binding on the solid shirt, remove the collar and sleeve decorations from the patterned shirt and place them on the corresponding areas. Then, I’ll cut part of the lower end of the patterned shirt off, and attach it to the bottom of the solid shirt. I may add a bit of trim along the body of the solid area, depending on how badly the unfolded hem looks. Stop back in a few days to see the after pics.
Maybe I’m procrastinating a little on my book art, but I’ve been working on it steadily for 4 hours today. It’s Sunday and I deserve a bit of a break. Don’t you agree?
Back in October, when I was doing some cons, I took my sketch book along. In between customers, I drew this over-sized, mini dwarf guy. I was enamored with him and especially the cranky pig pulling the cart. I decided to finalize the idea as my first postcard project mailer for 2015.
The original sketch, while charming, was lacking in both depth and story, so I redrew it to add more dimension and perspective. Lacking both a pig and a cart for reference, I made a cart out of a file folder, and a pig’s foot out of some clay. You know the kind, the actual dirt and mud type clay, not sculpty-type. I have about 8 pounds of the stuff. Now I had 3 dimensional reference.
Once I had the reference, I took pictures of the resulting models, and came up a with a new sketch. I gave the both the dwarf and the pig more personality and added movement to the cart, pots and pans. The postcard project was in full swing.
After a year or so struggling to get digital painting to look like traditional watercolor and being unsatisfied with the results, I decided to go back to my true love of transparent watercolors. However, I am still utilizing digital tools. One of the things I dreaded the most of the traditional art process was the laborious transfer of final sketch to watercolor paper. I have a huge light box. I used to tape my sketch to the glass and place the watercolor paper on top. I had to wait for full dark until I could trace the sketch on to the paper with pencil. It was a long, backbreaking and nit-picky process. Now, I use Adobe Illustrator to do my line work. Much easier to make adjustments and not have to worry about damaging the tooth of the watercolor paper. Once I am happy with the inking phase, I print it out on my large format printer right on the paper.
The painting process begins as soon as the printer ink has time to set. About 30 minutes seems to be optimum. Less time than that and it tends to run.
Adding color is the most fun part of the postcard project for me. I love watching my characters come to life. They do tend to take on a personality of their own as painting progresses.
Once the traditional painting phase is complete, I scan the image back into the computer and do final retouching in Photoshop. You can see from the final image below, I adjusted values on the cart and the background, darkened areas of the dwarf and removed the cross-bar shadows under the cart. (They were distracting and confusing.)
For the postcard itself, I added my name and website in a band of yellow. The back of the card is black and white and included the rest of my contact information.
All the cards got mailed out this week. I feel good about getting a head start my quarterly postcard mailings. Maybe this year I will even hit my target goal of four mailings.
If you want to see the image at a larger size, please visit my fantasy art portfolio.